"E lucevan le stelle" is the romanza of Mario Cavaradossi in the 3rd act of Tosca, the opera composed by Giacomo Puccini to an Italian libretto by Luigi Illica and Giuseppe Giacosa. It is sung by Tosca's lover, the painter Mario Cavaradossi (tenor), while waiting for his coming execution. Written in B minor, is one of the most famous opera arias. The aria is introduced by a somber clarinet solo. The incipit of the melody (heard in outline earlier in the Act, as the sky lightens and the gaoler prepares for the execution) is repeated on the lines "O dolci baci, o languide carezze", and also restated forte in the closing bars of the opera, as Tosca jumps from the ramparts
E LUCEVAN LE STELLE LYRICS
E lucevan le stelle,
ed olezzava la terra
stridea l'uscio dell'orto
e un passo sfiorava la rena.
Entrava ella fragrante,
mi cadea fra la braccia.
O dolci baci, o languide carezze,
mentr'io fremente le belle forme disciogliea dai veli!
Svanì per sempre il sogno mio d'amore.
L'ora è fuggita, e muoio disperato!
e muoio disperato! E non ho amato mai tanto la vita!
tanto la vita!
E lucevan le Stelle from TOSCA Explained by Tito Schipa jr. In a very magic "serata of Ferragosto" and perfect location the "Anfiteatro Romano" at Lecce, Tito Schipa jr. explained "Tosca" as MELODRAMA exactly and how Giacomo Puccini has created this opera. Tito Schipa jr and his "Tosca Masterclass" is a great job of research to explain the original Tosca. For more info visit:
TOSCA (GIACOMO PUCCINI)is the very most dramatic operas and a staple of the standard operatic repertoire in the world.
TOSCA is an opera in three acts by Giacomo Puccini to an Italian libretto by Luigi Illica and Giuseppe Giacosa, based on Victorien Sardou's drama, La Tosca. The work premiered at the Teatro Costanzi in Rome on January 14, 1900
TOSCA appears as number 8 on Opera America's list of the 20 most-performed operas in North America for more info about Italy visit:
GIACOMO PUCCINI INFORMATION
Giacomo Antonio Domenico Michele Secondo Maria Puccini (December 22, 1858 -- November 29, 1924) was an Italian composer whose operas, including La Bohème, Tosca, and Madama Butterfly, are among the most frequently performed in the standard repertoire. Some of his arias, such as "O Mio Babbino Caro" from Gianni Schicchi, "Che gelida manina" from La Bohème, and "Nessun Dorma" from Turandot, have become part of popular culture
GIACOMO PUCCINI MAIN OPERAS
- Le Villi, libretto by Ferdinando Fontana (in one act -- premiered at the Teatro Dal Verme, 31 May 1884)
- Edgar, libretto by Ferdinando Fontana (in four acts -- premiered at the Teatro alla Scala, 21 April 1889)
- Manon Lescaut, libretto by Luigi Illica, Marco Praga and Domenico Oliva (premiered at the Teatro Regio, 1 February 1893)
- La bohème, libretto by Luigi Illica and Giuseppe Giacosa (premiered at the Teatro Regio, 1 February 1896)
- Tosca, libretto by Luigi Illica and Giuseppe Giacosa (premiered at the Teatro Costanzi, 14 January 1900)
- Madama Butterfly, libretto by Luigi Illica and Giuseppe Giacosa (in two acts -- premiered at the Teatro alla Scala, 17 February 1904)
- La fanciulla del West, libretto by Guelfo Civinini and Carlo Zangarini (premiered at the Metropolitan, 10 December 1910)
- La rondine, libretto by Giuseppe Adami (premiered at the Opéra of Monte Carlo, 27 March 1917)
- Il trittico (premiered at the Metropolitan, 14 December 1918)
. Il tabarro, libretto by Giuseppe Adami
. Suor Angelica, libretto by Giovacchino Forzano
. Gianni Schicchi, libretto by Giovacchino Forzano
- Turandot, libretto by Renato Simoni and Giuseppe Adami (incomplete at the time of Puccini's death, completed by Franco Alfano: premiered at the Teatro alla Scala, 25 April 1926; an alternative completion was commissioned from Luciano Berio in 2002)